Friday, April 22, 2011

First Try

I did my first ever appliqué today. And it worked!

Not bad for the first try, right?

Details, for those who may be curious... The top square was backed with a slightly smaller square of freezer paper which was left in place until the square was sewn onto the four-patch quilt square. Then, from the wrong side, the bottom layer of fabric was cut away a quarter-inch inside the stitching so the paper could be peeled off and removed.

On the other side...

The worst part was pressing the edges of the fabric squares (all 70 of them) to the freezer paper squares, but all's well that ends well, or at least gets done without seriously burning one's fingers.

One square down, sixty-nine more to go. I may need Easter candy as fuel for the long haul ahead of me.

Enjoy your weekend, with or without chocolate bunnies. Don't forget to hop on over to...

11 comments:

  1. Your applique looks great! Whenever I see projects like this, it reminds me that I should give my sewing machine a whirl sometime soon. I can't wait to see more of your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, wow! Looks awesome!! Such pretty fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks gorgeous! I love the overlapping squares look, and the fabrics go wonderfully together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear jellybeans provide plenty of creative energy. I think it turned out great! You'll be a pro by the time the last square is done.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your applique is beautiful! I love your "Easter Basket" too. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your square looks awesome! I love things that are asymmetrical.

    Maybe it's because I'm not a quilter, but I have no idea what freezer paper is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for explaining about the nub. Your applique' looks wonderful.
    Happy Easter
    Started a linky love, come play
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do like your square, and the fabric choices you made. But 70 squares? Good grief, you're going to need more than jelly beans ... :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your feedback. All comments are moderated (to reduce spam), so there will be a short delay before your comment is displayed. Thank you.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.