Friday, December 9, 2011

November, where did you go?

Do you ever have those days (or weeks or months) where you feel like everything's going non-stop and you're so busy that you can't take a deep breath ... yet it doesn't sound like all that much was going on when you try to explain it to someone else? I can probably sum it all up by saying, I have children.

But let's not get bogged down with that. Instead, here's the yarny stuff...

I made a small Storm Cloud Shawlette (designed by Hanna Breetz and offered for free) using my handspun, ~220 yards of two-ply Shetland wool hand-dyed by The Thylacine. The shawl couldn't be simpler to make and it shows off the color shifts in the yarn. I ran out of yarn before I was quite ready to be finished, so worked in some gray handspun I had left from an earlier shawlette along the bottom ruffle.



There was also a Springtime Baby Cardigan and a Foolproof Baby Hat out of some super-soft alpaca yarn. I made these for someone else and was thrilled that she liked them.


Then the temperature dropped and it seemed like the perfect time to make a pair of Trenza mitts, a free pattern designed by Susanna IC. I used three-ply handspun (Ashland Bay merino fiber) and it worked very nicely for the cables.


I also finished up the "Entwined" Shoulder Shawl designed by O/C Knitiot. Blocking definitely let the Berroco Lustra yarn bloom and show the stitch pattern to best advantage. I love the "woven" part that connects the shawl in front, though I may do some hidden stitching to flatten out the stockinette "fingers". The applied i-cord edging took some time to do, but it makes a gorgeous finished edge, doesn't it?


I only have one Christmas gift to make this year. It's for a friend who greatly admired a shawl I made last year, which ensured her a spot on the "people I'm willing to knit for" list. The gift shawl is not quite to the halfway point so there's enough pressure to keep me motivated but not quite so much that I am berating myself for not starting it sooner.


13 comments:

  1. Wow. Both those shawls have me mesmerized. You have been busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Storm Cloud is super nice for handspun. I've made two that way. I love all the projects but I think I may have to make those mitts. Now that I've conquered my fear of cables, I am obsessed with knitting them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary--WOW, WOW, WOW...your shoulder shawl is wonderful!!! You're right...the edging is really spectacular, and the cables and color...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the entwined shawl is amazing! The yarn you used looks fabulous in that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, these are all so beautiful.....I especially love the Entwined shawl......amazing!!!
    As far as the time going by and when people ask what have you been up to (busy busy, but cannot think of a thing to tell them..) what is my excuse now that the children are gone?
    Your photos are very nice...I especially love the artistry of the glove picture!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree... the applied i-cord is almost like magic.

    I adore that little baby sweater. :-)

    Here's to a more relaxing December. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful stuff! I do know that feeling of too many things to do and time rushing by, but when you stop and think or try to explain where the time went, it just doesn't add up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly the WHERE IS THE TIME GOING feeling you're talking about---and without the children to justify it! ;)

    But wow, what amazing FO's you've achieved, time to breathe or not. The Stormcloud shawlette looks perfect in those colours, I love the fingerless mitts (those chunky cables, mmm), and the Entwined shawl is amazing, the edging looks beautifully polished and the "woven" piece is so complex-looking and intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great collection of knits for sure! Your Entwined is the perfect color. Thank you for sharing your work with us. Not to discourage you but when the children are gone you'll still look back at your week and think it doesn't sound like you accomplished much...you'll just have a different excuse. LOL Our children are grown and gone and I still don't know where the time goes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your projects are lovely but I have to say I LOVE the entwined shawl! It's so visually interesting and warm I'm sure. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, so this is what you've been up to! Love the Storm Cloud, and I appreciate the effort in that applied i-cord - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome projects. You've been busy. The gray interweave shawl is very interesting!! Wanted to sing out and let you know your donation arrived yesterday. Very nice scarves, thank you and thank your daughter too. Love the pattern on the knitted ones, I can tell it's a ribbing of some sort...and made with 2 strands? Can you pass along the pattern you used> I like how it sorta looks stripped where the different stitch comes into play.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also forgot to ask you to leave your email ady. I wanted to add it to my database. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your feedback. All comments are moderated (to reduce spam), so there will be a short delay before your comment is displayed. Thank you.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.